[AT] O T calf in car

Ralph Goff alfg at sasktel.net
Fri Mar 27 17:52:10 PDT 2015

On 3/27/2015 11:48 AM, Dean VP wrote:
> Farmer,
>
> I too remember the days in the 40's and early 50's when farmers traded machinery and labor since very
> few if any one farmer was able to do all his own work or had all the implements needed.
>
> Rambling now...
> Model A Fords became a very popular vehicle here during the years of the
> war (1941-1945) especially about 1943 until about 1947.
> Until about then an awful lot of farmers didn't own a full set of
> implements, mostly just the bigger guys..
> Different times...

I missed the 1940s and have only dim memories of the late fifties. But
the sixties are clear and just as some of you have said. My dad never
owned a baler or side delivery rake but always worked out a deal with a
neighbour that did have them. Dad had a new mower in 1961 and he cut
lots of hay and crop for the neighbours that dry year. Cutting firewood,
butchering beef, putting up a building or a host of other jobs that a
little kid couldn't help with, call in a neighbour and they always
seemed to be available.
I was thinking also today how the small towns have changed. Looking down
main street at the scant few vehicles parked. The one cafe/coffee shop
what normally would have a line of vehicles parked outside at 3:00 had
only one car today and I never saw another person on the street. Used to
be you would always meet someone at the post office to talk to but not
today.
No bank anymore so everybody either goes ten miles south to the next
town or does online banking. No rail line so no grain elevators with
their steady procession of single axle trucks coming in to unload grain.
Its good to remember those times and I wouldn't have missed them for
anything. Progress moves on and we can't stop it. We don't have to like
it though.

Ralph in Sask.