[AT] Little Oli

Indiana Robinson robinson46176 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 10 06:15:57 PDT 2015

I've only owned one Oliver, it was back when I was buying and selling. It
was an Oliver 88 Diesel. Good running tractor. I brought it home and used
it some for some disking. I sold it to two brothers that wanted to pull it.
They were going to put a new injection pump on it and "freshen it up a
bit". They got caught up in the fun and did a total ground up restoration.
:-)
I always loved listening to son Scott's 1755 Oliver especially if he was
running in one of the fields away from the house and I was working in the
shop.
These days I have something like an Oliver 60 on my wish list. Now that I
just odd job and want to show I have become fond of the smaller tractors.
They are more typical of what our small farm neighbors had around us when I
was a kid in the 1940's and 1950's.
Then again I could be forced to take a Super 55 if someone wanted to give
me one.
:-)
One neighbor had a Case VAC (I now have 2). Two other neighbors both had 8N
Fords (I now have 2) . The fellow behind us had a SC Case and an Allis CA
(I have an Allis C) (those had replaced his horses in 1946). Another farm
west of us was farmed by two brothers using 2 new John Deere B's and one
south of us used a JD B. In 1951 we were farming 220 acres with a Ferguson
TO-20 (I now have 1) and a 9N Ford/Ferguson (on the target list). We had a
few neighbors using 3 plow tractors but not very many until later years.
Oh, yeah, one close neighbor did buy a new Oliver 77 about the same time we
bought a new Ford Jubilee. He had been using a couple of very tired (really
tired) old AC WC's and a 9N Ford/Ferguson. He was a very good long time
neighbor but an absolutely awful mechanic... His stuff barely ran most of
the time and his old tractors all went to the scrappers. The really funny
part of that was that when he could no longer make it farming and rented
the farm out he got a job with the state... Wait for it... Maintaining stop
lights...
:-)  :-)

--

Francis Robinson