[AT] Drawn out 1949 AC-B engine rebuild

Recentjester at aol.com Recentjester at aol.com
Sat Mar 7 15:15:41 PST 2015

Understand warren

In a message dated 3/7/2015 4:44:08 P.M. Central Standard Time,
mogrits at gmail.com writes:

Thanks  for the reply. I am not plumb dumb, just plain dumb! I know to do
those  things and have plasti-guage I bought 10 yrs ago to check the  rod
bearings.

I was just trying to stimulate some tractor  discussion.

I'll do my homework. Since I took the engine apart: The  local
automotive-only machine shop closed down, my cousin moved to Florida,  my
mechanic friend's business partner got cancer so my friend is  working
double-time, and three kids went to college. The advice and  guidance I
thought I had when I tore into it is no longer there. I don't  want my wife
dealing with a torn down tractor in another ten years that  "ran when
parked".

Warren

On Sat, Mar 7, 2015 at 5:14 PM,  <Recentjester at aol.com> wrote:

> [...]
including
> changing the cam bearings, new freeze plugs, block  hot tanked and all
head
> work done, oil passages rodded with wire  brushes.
>

> In a message dated 3/7/2015 4:04:07 P.M.  Central Standard Time,
> mogrits at gmail.com writes:
>
>  Okay,  assuming your comment about making shims is not referring  to
> emptying
> beer  cans, do I have to replace the main  berings or is that just
> considered
> good  practice "since  you're in there"? These are the kind of questions I
> have.  Do I  drop the crankshaft and take it to a (who do I take it to?)
> have  it  checked and ground and trued if necessary? Or can I just  unbolt
> the
> rod  bearings and remove the pistons and  sleeves, install new and if so,
do
> I  install new rod bearings  and how do I know what size to use? I am
> assuming  re-using rod  bearings is verbotten.
>
> Warren
>
> On Sat, Mar 7,  2015  at 4:37 PM, <Recentjester at aol.com> wrote:
>
>  > I have one engine  three back halves need to get busy too on
rebuilding
> > mine. My  current excuse is making the rod and  main bearing  shims
> >

> > In a message  dated 3/7/2015 3:34:10 P.M. Central  Standard Time,
> >  mogrits at gmail.com writes:
> >
> > About  10  yrs  ago my B became very hard to start and just as hard to
> keep
>  > running. A  compression test revealed...that it had almost   none!
> >
> > So one weekend  while a cousin was  visiting we tore  down the tractor
and
> > engine and  found  we could rock the pistons  in the cylinders by hand.
>  > Obviously the pistons,  rings or  sleeves or all the above were  very
> worn. I
> > bagged all the bolts   and  photo-documented it all and still have all
the
> > parts neatly   arranged  but have not touched it in that time. I need to
>  get
> > off  my butt and get  that tractor back in the  field.
> >
> > What are  the lists recommendations  as  to how to proceed? I purchased
> >  Spencers book on  engine rebuilding and read  it years ago, but it is
> still
>  > outside my wheelhouse as to what is necessary  and what  isn't.  What
do I
> > check in the crank and what will need to be   done  there based on those
> > findings? Head/valve work while  it's  apart?
> >
> > I'm  asking for the kick in  the pants that I've  missed since George
> Willer
> >  passed.
> >
> > (BTW, this  tractor has no ignition  issues as the  magneto was very
> >  professionally rebuilt  by the now passed list  member/magneto
whisperer
> > whose  name I can't recall) He was an extremely  kind  and funny man.
When