[AT] Plowing snow

George Crawford g.crawford1313 at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 6 19:35:54 PST 2015

I have to feel a bit sorry for you folks having to deal with the cold and snow. Being from the Pacific Northwest, we usually have cool, wet weather with an occasional cold spell and maybe a little snow.  Nothing like some of you are dealing with.  A couple of times in the twenty-five years we've lived here there has been enough snow to really be troublesome. The tractor really came in handy then. The truth is, all it takes is the threat of snow and schools cancel and the emergency preparedness folk get panicky.  The average folks in our area are neither prepared or experienced with local winter snowy conditions.  Things normally just shut down for a few days at most until a thaw allows thing to get back to normal.  I used to be the guy that called school off if conditions warranted a delay or closure.  I spent 18 years in Idaho where winters were much more severe.  People just put on chains, engaged their four wheel drive and went on as usual.  I was reminded quite critically "this ain't Idaho"!  Retirement lets me stay indoors, sleep in, or just ignore winter if  I choose  to.  Actually, I have to admit,  I've spent the last ten weeks in Hawaii.  The weather at home has been nice for the time of year, so going home won't be bad.I really do sympathize with those of you still snowed in and freezing.George