[AT] ALLIS CA STARTER

Spencer Yost yostsw at atis.net
Thu Mar 5 18:25:00 PST 2015

I assume you're talking about the drive spring. I have had trouble with those before in the past too, and it is almost always because of the assembly it is part of.  It seems to me that the slop from wear is enough to create excessive rattling, or movement of the spring in a semi-violent way.  Enough  to create fractures in the brittle, hardened spring material.

That was my theory.   I found a new whole new assembly and the problem solved itself.   So if I wasn't right I was close.

By the way, I had to replace the drive assembly on my fords starter last year for a similar problem.   There was enough wear in the pin hole that the movement would eventually shear the pin and the whole assembly would fall down into the bell housing.   After doing that 2-3 times I bought a new assembly and all is well.  Fortunately for me the hole in the armature shaft was still good.

Anyways, you should be able to by a new entire drive assembly for the starter and avoid the rebuild shop.

Spencer