[AT] Plows, was Re: Supervision

Grant Brians sales at heirloom-organic.com
Tue Jun 30 05:23:42 PDT 2015

I can comment about brands here in California. First, plows are not
primary tillage and have now been since the 1880's for nearly every
farmer. Primary tillage has been and still is the disc harrow. You can
run them with lower horsepower, they are better on a shallow soil, they
are better at helping residue break down for the next crop and they are
much faster to cover a field.
       Second, having said that, plows are a useful and returning tool.
Now on to brands.... In the 1930s to 1950s, the heyday of the purchase
of tillage equipment because of the conversion to medium size tractors
and much technological change there were different brands sold than
earlier with horses. John Deere did sell quite a few plows due to the
dealer network, but the brands that sold most were AC, Atlas, IH and
Oliver. Oliver and AC are still the preferred used equipment brands for
older tractors!
       Atlas plows were built in Bell, California in Orange County and
included the MONSTER plow that Richard Walker posted a picture of some
years back pulled by two Caterpillar D9 tractors turning over an Orange
Grove soil. Atlas plows were used nearly exclusively behind crawler
tractors whether Caterpillar or IH.
      Allis-Chalmers plows were built in Ventura, California and the
California built products were marketed mostly in the Western states.
They were used connected to high horsepower wheel tractors for the era,
starting in the early 1950s. I have one and can say that if the rollover
valve works, they work very well. They were made in 3-6 bottom rollover
models mostly 14" high clearance rollover frames. Very heavy on the
three point hitch but work well. The size of the dealer network limited
sales somewhat, but many farms with other brands of tractors ran and
still run AC implements especially the rippers.
      IH plows were VERY common. In the early days single direction
plows like the 4 bottom I posted about were sold and were quite
efficient (but Olivers pulled easier and helped build their dealer
network), then rollover plows were mostly sold by the 1940s. I have an
IH 4 bottom rollover mounted plow and it is the one we use most.
      Oliver plows are still sought, but not as many were sold as the
tractors because of the lower use of plows and because the dealer
network was much smaller than JD or IH. For a time in the 1940s and
1950s Oliver was the second best selling tractor manufacturer in
California after Caterpillar! The Fleetline Series and Super Series
tractors sold for vegetable, cotton, melon, asparagus production even to
died in the wool John Deere people due to the hydraulics, superior and
quieter 6 cylinder engines and easy adjustability. This did not help
plow sales though because most plowing was done with crawlers and few
rollovers came to California early enough. Interestingly, the Oliver
lister bottoms (two moldboards mounted together in opposite cut
directions) are still used extensively! Many people swear they are the best.
      Today, most plows sold in California are very large deep clearance
Wilcox plows that are mounted to Challenger or John Deere tracted
tractors. The most common size is 7 bottom rollover and they are usually
pulled about 7mph. Wilcox got quite a bit of the AC tooling is my
understanding. That 7 bottom size is pulled with 300HP and will
typically be more than 16" in the soil....
                   Grant Brians - Hollister,California farmer of
vegetables, herbs, fruit, nuts