[AT] Plows, was Re: Supervision

charlie hill charliehill at embarqmail.com
Mon Jun 29 03:46:49 PDT 2015

Cecil,  yes I'm sure it depends a lot on soil types.
Around here most of the land is loamy sand or
highly organic soil that doesn't have the hard pan
compaction problems you probably have.
Even the guys with heavy clay land here have stopped
plowing.  I can't remember when I saw a set of bottom
plows in a field other than maybe a small farmer still
doing things the old way.  The bottom plows have been replaced
by chisels and rippers and in recent years by some new
tillage contraptions that are foreign to me.   They look like a
combination of a pea weeder and an old reel type lawn mower, both
on steroids with some other stuff thrown in.    Really, I think the
big disc harrows most of the guys are pulling now cut deeper than
we used to cut with bottom plows.

I noticed one farm near here that I pass often.  This year the guy no-tilled
3 out of the 4 fields and the 4th one he disced twice and ran one of those
contraptions over.  That field looked as nice, flat and stubble free as
we used to make our tobacco fields.  I figured he must be going to plant a
different crop in that field but when the seed came up he had cotton in all
4 fields.  Then I got to thinking maybe he has them in a rotation where he
does deep tillage on each field every few years.  If I see him any time soon
I'll try to think to ask him or I'll wait 'til next year and see what he
does.

Charlie