[AT] Plows, was Re: Supervision

jtchall at nc.rr.com jtchall at nc.rr.com
Sun Jun 28 05:02:58 PDT 2015

Buddy of mine came by yesterday morning, he used to work on the farm that
ran the semi-mount behind the 1466. It was a 5 bottom and pretty certain it
was a 720. The owners only complaint was having to remove one of the duals
for plowing. He said the owner wished he would have bought a different
configuration hitch that would have allowed him to leave the dual on.

What little plowing I ever got to help with was done in the summer. We never
had a problem with the 450 plows choking up. Considering we had two of them
makes me think they were the "holy grail" of the plowing world at that time.
Prior to those we had various horse/mule plows,disc and bottom plows for the
Farmalls, and one or 2 Deere bottom plows. Basically all the farms around
here that plowed were running 450's, regardless of the color tractor pulling
it.

I've often considered why it is my area plowed so deep. I guess it is due to
soil type, our land can pack pretty darn tight. I guess plowing was the only
way of getting into the hard pan easily. Folks had subsoilers, but they were
slow and expensive to run. We had a two shank we ran behind a 4430 Deere
(about 115hp?). At times that was all that tractor wanted. I never ran it
but have told it was bad on breaking shear bolts, sometimes 2-3 bolts in a
couple hundred feet. In the late 70's chisel plows got real popular here and
I think that is what began to park molboard plows. V rippers were around for
a while in the 80's, primarily with tobacco farmers. Again they were very
expensive to run and those guys got the best return for their effort.

John Hall