[AT] OT pocket knives

Stephen Offiler soffiler at gmail.com
Fri Jun 26 06:54:06 PDT 2015

On Fri, Jun 26, 2015 at 7:14 AM, Mogrits <mogrits at gmail.com> wrote:

> I inherited my grandfathers Case three bladed pocket knife and I carried it
> for many years. I think it may be called a "Stockman" model. I too had
> issues with the blades rusting because they are not stainless but man, will
> those blades take and hold an edge!

And THERE is the exact reason some knives will rust.  Even today, the very
best stainless steels used in knifemaking don't take and hold an edge like
the very best non-stainless steels.  Today's stainless steels are much
better, of course, so it is all relative.  And don't forget "stainless
steel" is a catchall term for a wide variety of different alloys, and
certainly not every single one of them puts "corrosion resistance" first
and foremost, so even SS will discolor in certain conditions.  People take
"stainless" far too literally.  Some of them stain anyway.

SO