[AT] Getting water out of a gearbox/now bearing life

Steve W. swilliams268 at frontier.com
Sun Jun 7 21:28:54 PDT 2015

charlie hill wrote:
> Exactly right Steve but at least you would know you had a potential
> problem before it left you on the side of the road.  As for not knowing
> what to do with the data, I'm willing to bet that 80 + % of O2 sensors
> replaced are in perfect condition and doing their job but set a code because
> of something like a minor vacuum leak.  The problem is that even dealership
> mechanics appear not to know that.
>
> Charlie

I would put that number higher!
Far too many people believe that the code is god.
There is a shop within 500 feet of me that thinks that way. I would get
calls quite often after they had shotgunned a repair and still had an
issue. Now they don't call, they just tell the customer to go around the
corner when it's a drivability issue.

As for the data, you need to know what the vehicle can display and where
it's hidden to make most of it useful.

For GM owners you can visit
https://service.gm.com/gmspo/mode6/index.html
It shows what many of the codes mean and what the tests are that failed
to set the code.

--
Steve W.