[AT] Plowing

Grant Brians sales at heirloom-organic.com
Tue Jun 30 04:30:56 PDT 2015

On 6/29/2015 9:30 AM, Len Rugen wrote:
> I think it might be a 3 wheel IH plow, they had a sprint loaded hitch that would break away.
>
> http://www.tractorshed.com/gallery/uptest/a59269.jpg
>
> |   |
> |   |  |   |   |   |   |   |
> |  |
> |  |
> | View on www.tractorshed.com | Preview by Yahoo |
> |  |
> |   |

>   Len Rugen
>
> rugenl at yahoo.com

I have one of the 4 bottom IH plows with the clevis and loaded spring
connection. I used that plow back when I learned (more or less) to plow
in 80's. I had it connected to my Case David Brown 1210 tractor or the
Cat D4. I was plowing ryegrass to loosen up the clay in the middle field
after we land-leveled the field and I tripped the spring. Being a young
fellow who had never used a plow other than a horse drawn single
bottom... I picked the hitch up and it caught my coveralls legs when it
snapped back into place.
      I was not thrilled to tear my coveralls on both sides. I was happy
that it did not happen three inches higher or I would be a VERY
different person today! Unfortunately, the coveralls were not the only
part that was caught and torn, so too were my jeans and the flesh of my
legs.... Once again, remember where this was on my legs - nearly at the
top. I did yank the flesh out of there but have not grown hair on those
two spots on my legs since that experience 30 or so years ago.
      So, I learned the hard way what older generations had learned in
the 1930's or 1940's about those spring trip connections to a tractor
with a moldboard plow - BE CAREFUL.
           Grant Brians - Hollister,California farmer of vegetables,
herbs, flowers, nuts and fruit