[AT] OT pocket knives

Spencer Yost yostsw at atis.net
Wed Jun 24 18:43:02 PDT 2015

Pocket knives  bring back great memories.   Both my dad and father in law, both now deceased, liked them.   I have my dad's "gentleman's knife", a small 1.5" mother of pearl handled "pen knife" he called it.   It has been the handiest and is missing about half the metal from hundreds of sharpenings.  It's 60 years old if it's a day.

My wife has  several of her father's - including the one he bought her to protect herself when she was riding her horse.  It was a boot knife and not a pocket knife though.

About 40 years ago I went to a local cutlery store. I'm not sure if that was just something weird in my town or if they were common back in the day. But he would make custom knives. Pocketknives included. He made me a 3 inch folding knife completely out of stainless steel with a blade that would get and keep a really nice edge. I've never had anything that equaled it and I still have it.  Recently it broke the pin it was rotating on, but after forty years I figured I got my moneys worth.  I was 14 at the time and it took a lot of lawn mowing money to buy it. But I never regretted it.  He even engraved it for me. Even at 3" though it is a very heavy knife and the weight is the only thing I would change.

Having said that, I also have a knife like the link Dave provided. I like the nylon handles more than I thought I would.  It really keeps the weight down.

I have worked in locations that have metal detectors to enter ever since the early 90s. So I stopped carrying one as a regular habit a long time ago.  I guess they think I am going to attack everyone with a 3" blade and steal data. (-;

Spencer