[AT] Getting water out of a gearbox/now bearing life

Steve W. swilliams268 at frontier.com
Sat Jun 6 18:09:30 PDT 2015

charlie hill wrote:
> Steve, go buy a new Cadillac or Corvette and you'll find out that the
> "smart" vehicle already
> exists.  I think some of the high end European and Asian cars are the same.
> If something goes
> wrong on some of the Cadillac's the computer will use OnStar to alert GM.
> That technology
> exists on every new airliner built by Boeing and Air Bus.  The planes are in
> constant communication
> with the manufacturer.  The technology is already here.  The folks paying
> for it just aren't getting
> the benefit of it, or at least not directly.
>
> Charlie

It has been there for a while BUT without the proper tools you can't get
to it. Most of the newer big rigs also talk back to the builders and
owners these days. It's great to be able to pull the data BUT one big
requirement is that you know what the data means as well. It also takes
a bit of work to trace what the real problem is. For instance if an O2
sensor is showing a lean condition on one cylinder bank. It would be
real easy to spend big money on top of the engine when the real issue is
a pinhole in the exhaust gasket.

--
Steve W.