[AT] wheel bearings

charlie hill charliehill at embarqmail.com
Sat Jun 6 12:03:10 PDT 2015

Ok,  I  just looked at the old hub.  The zero speed sensor is held in place
by
one allen head machine screw that goes through a molded boss on the side
of the sensor assembly.  Remove the machine screw, give the zs sensor a
twist
and a tug and it pulls straight out.  Inside you can see what I first
thought
was the cage of the roller bearing but I then realized that it is the "hall
effect ring".
No matter.  I would be possible to push grease through the ring and into the
bearing.
I think you'd need to take an old speed sensor, drill it out and adapt some
sort of
grease fitting or a pipe nipple.  That would allow you to re-mount the
sensor housing
and attach a grease gun without messing up the hub.  Then I suppose you
could slowly
rotate the bearing as you pump grease in, taking care not to add too much
grease and
blow out the seal.  Then you'd need to find a way to clean up the outside of
the hall effect
ring so the sensor would read it again.   Could work in a pinch.

By the way,  I can read the manufacturers identification on the bearing race
on the OEM
hub that I removed.  It's clearly marked "Timken".

Charlie

Ivan,  I have the old hub in the back of my truck.  It's the factory
original piece.  I'll try to remember to check it out soon and let you
know what I find.

Charlie