[AT] Getting water out of a gearbox; now bearings

rlgoss at twc.com rlgoss at twc.com
Fri Jun 5 06:52:46 PDT 2015

It is normally the outer race that goes.  On a tractor I used to own, two of the inner races on the front wheels broke and one of the wheels locked up.  I took both broken bearings back to the dealer (the tractor only had 75 hours on it) and he gave me four new bearings to replace them all.  They were Timken SET 1 bearings and nothing should have been wrong, but I was the second owner and apparently the first owner had really overloaded the front end of that tractor in the short time he had it.

The old Borg-Warner T92 transmissions originally were equipped with unsealed ball bearings in the main shaft with oil slingers, drain or seep holes, etc. (this is the same transmission as WWII Jeep, Crosley, etc) and sealed replacement bearings are available in place of that old-style lubrication system.  In talking with a provider for those bearings, he says a lot of owners remove the seals -- they trust the old style of lubrication even though it exposes the bearings to dirt, water, and "no lubrication at all".

Larry