[AT] Getting water out of a gearbox

Stephen Offiler soffiler at gmail.com
Fri Jun 5 05:54:32 PDT 2015

On Thu, Jun 4, 2015 at 10:44 PM, Thomas O Mehrkam <tmehrkam at sbcglobal.net>
wrote:

> I have never had a wheel bearing fail in the road.

I have.  It was an early 70's Mercury Capri, equipped with old-school
packable bearings.  The sealed units were still a couple decades away.  I
was a college kid, the car had probably 100K miles on it, and service
history on that bearing is unknown but zero is a real good guess.  It was
the outer bearing that went.   It locked up solid and spun the race on the
spindle until it welded.  I fixed it in the dorm parking lot.  Had to
scrape together my beer money and spend it on a carbide hacksaw blade to
get the welded race off.  It wasn't severely welded, just stuck, and
several cuts with the carbide saw plus some whacks with a cold chisel got
it done.  Some sandpaper to clean up, and the new bearing went right on.
Of course I threw some grease at the inner bearing, but didn't do proper
pack job, since that requires you tear out the old grease seal to get the
bearing out and pack properly, and I did not have another grease seal
handy.  That car carried me thru the rest of my college career, but it
taught me several lessons along the way, like for example what happens when
a timing belt shears... how to replace a clutch laying on your back in a
dorm parking lot...

SO