[AT] Getting water out of a gearbox

Thomas O Mehrkam tmehrkam at sbcglobal.net
Thu Jun 4 19:44:28 PDT 2015

I have never had a wheel bearing fail in the road.

I am planning a 5000 mile RV trip this summer.

Which is better.  Spend $360 replacing two front hubs that may have
another $100,000 miles in them or disassembling, Inspecting and packing
the hubs to ensure no problems on the trip.

That is the problem with sealed front bearings.  It is difficult to
predict when they will file and may fail at 10,000 ft on a mountain road
100 miles from a parts house. Could cause a lot or damage and delay.

I will admit if you are communicating back and forth to work it is not a
huge problem but breaking down in a remote area is a real downer.

Like when the Alternator failed on the previous truck.  I was 25 miles
off road in the Big Bend area.  Closest town was Alpine which was about
90 miles once you make it out to pavement.

Fortunate I was able to install the spare Serpentine belt, dissemble the
alternator.  Oil the bearings and get things working long enough to
drive out the the highway and make it back to civilization.
I would prefer to be able to do maintenance periodically to prevent
these problems in the first place rather than to wait for things to come
apart.