[AT] OT - Electric horse fence

charlie hill charliehill at embarqmail.com
Mon Jul 13 19:50:23 PDT 2015

Are your gates metal?  My friend Tom who is no longer with us
used to have a horse farm near my house.  It's now a sub-division.
He ran his wires up to the gate, then ran a loop of the hot wire
through a length of garden hose that he used as a handle.  After the
wire came out of the hose he had a hook in the end of it that
he hooked onto the gate on the open end.  On the hinge end he just
had a wire connected to the gate and back to the fence.  When he
wanted to go through the fence he lifted the length of water hose
and removed the hook, opened and re-closed the gate and dropped the
hook back in place.  The continuity in the fence was interrupted just for
the few seconds the gate was open but when close the gate was hot like
the fence.  That kept the horses and people from laying on the gate.
He taught lessons to children as young as 8.  Everyone was told how to
handle the gates and no one had a problem with it.

If you don't like that option, Phil's suggestion is great too.
Just put a inverted U in each end of the conduit so that it doesn't fill
with rain water.  Most any sort of plastic pipe or rubber or plastic hose
will work fine.

Charlie