[AT] Windows 10 OT but related

Stephen Offiler soffiler at gmail.com
Thu Jul 30 10:16:21 PDT 2015

You still run XP, Cecil ?!  I'm surprised.  My old laptop (circa 2008) ran
XP.  After Microsoft ended support (April 2014, if I remember correctly) my
web browsing experience went straight to hell.  I was (still am) a Chrome
fan, and there were a large number of little things that stopped working as
well or at all.  I tried the latest XP-compatible version of Internet
Explorer but that was many steps in the wrong direction; it barely worked
at all.  Another problem was iTunes.  I use iTunes to download a variety of
different podcasts for my iPod, as well as to back up my iPhone.  Under XP,
after April '14, iTunes got really flaky too, to the point that it crashed
during a phone backup and I lost EVERYTHING - photos and a bunch of apps I
had purchased just vanished.  Backup file corrupted, phone wiped clean.  XP
was at the heart of the matter... Apple quit making sure iTunes would work
on XP, and boy did it unravel quickly.  I rapidly got the message that
ending support for XP had deep consequences with pretty much everything,
one way or the other.

SO