[AT] Second cutting

Spencer Yost yostsw at atis.net
Sun Jul 26 11:35:05 PDT 2015

I just found the problem a few hours ago. It is the height of the hitch. The clue was the owners manual that I was reading for the fourth time, and it warned that you should adjust the flotation springs after you switch tractors since hitches will be different.  That set a lightbulb off in my head. So I flipped the hitch bar so that the tongue of the mower was 4 inches higher. Voilà I now have a floatation weight that approximates specifications.

The manual says that the hitch should be 13 to 17 inches above the ground, but I thought the PTO shaft was at too sharp of an angle.  So I had set the hitch for the lowest position which was about 12 1/2 inches.  Close enough I thought.

I thought wrong.

I did not need to tension the springs any more after that.

Problem solved I think!  Now all I need is a spring scale that will measure past 50lbs so I can assuage my curiosity.  I think it's 85lbs

Now I wondering about something else.  The manual says the end of the pto shaft to the hitch pin hole should be 14" exactly.  I can get 13 or 15.  Seeing as how finicky hitch height was, should I try another bar and get that 14" exactly?  Or is there some wiggle room in that measurement?

Spencer