[AT] Second cutting

Ralph Goff alfg at sasktel.net
Sun Jul 26 07:06:21 PDT 2015

On 7/25/2015 9:07 PM, Bill Bruer wrote:
> I don't understand your problems with the cutting height, Spencer.  The manuals are very clear that the
> cylinder is never to be used to carry the weight of the header in operation.
>
> Bill Bruer
> Murfreesboro, TN
>
> All in all I'm pretty pleased with the mower.   Pictures are below.
>
> Spencer

I don't know what happened to Spencer's original reply as I have yet to
see it or any pictures. I never got a manual with my 479
when I bought it used a few years ago so I did no adjusting to the
springs. I did have to rebuild the original worn out shoes
as they needed it. I run mine with the cylinder supporting the header
weight all the time as I find if I let it set right down on
the shoes it stops the reel sometimes. Seems to cut too low. Maybe I
need to build the shoes up to hold the cutter bar a bit
higher off the ground. For a well used 1977 model it does pretty well.
Video of it cutting here last summer.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9Af0FamR9E&feature=youtu.be

Ralph in Sask.