[AT] Second cutting

Bill Bruer bill_bru at bellsouth.net
Sat Jul 25 20:07:40 PDT 2015

I don't understand your problems with the cutting height, Spencer.  I used
to have a NH 477 haybine and still use a 472 model.  On both of those, the
cylinder is used to raise the header to transport position.  For cutting,
the cylinder is retracted all the way so that the header rests on the ground
and is free to float.  The header rides on skid shoes just behind and under
the cutter bar, one on each end.  You adjust the cutting height by
positioning holes in those shoes.  The manuals are very clear that the
cylinder is never to be used to carry the weight of the header in operation.

The draft, or header floatation, is adjusted by tensioning the large springs
behind the head.  It should only take a maximum of 70 lbs of force to raise
either end of the header by lifting at the end of the push bar.  Cutter bar
floatation seems to be something that is not adjusted by a lot of people.  I
got my 477 haybine in 1998 when it was 25 years old; it had never been
adjusted and the adjusting bolts were just as it left the factory.  The
lifting weight was a lot more than my 100 lb scale would register.  Same
thing with the 472, though it was only a couple of years old when I got it,
and with a NH 408 discbine I had for a while.  Two well-used sickle mowers I
have owned were also much heavier draft than they should have been.

Bill Bruer
Murfreesboro, TN