[AT] Gas can rant

Spencer Yost yostsw at atis.net
Wed Jul 22 15:38:28 PDT 2015

I had a very similar experience once. It was evening and the air was very still and already foggy. I was camping with a volunteer fireman and I am an ex-boy scout. We knew all about the dangers of Coleman lantern fuel.  We decided to use it anyways because of the fog, the rain and the mist had made the wood a bit wet and it was all we had. So we used just a little bit   and because of the still air we waited a minute for the worst of the fumes to dissipate. We lit the match.

Our whole world lit up like a supernova.   Fortunately it was dissipated enough to not burn or hurt anyone.   But the atmospheric conditions made us, in essence, the mantle of a lantern. We definitely got lit up. We would have been better lighting it right away probably.

That stuff is dangerous.

Spencer

> On Jul 22, 2015, at 15:51, "Gunnells, Bradley R" <brad-gunnells at uiowa.edu> wrote:
>

> We were out camping with friends. Yep….I couldn’t understand why my friend was backing away. While the “WHOOSH” was pretty spectacular, luckily I only had a little singed hair on my arm from it. We did have a good fire going to cook over in very short order though!

...snip...