[AT] New Holland TS110 saga continues.

charlie hill charliehill at embarqmail.com
Sat Jul 18 09:29:06 PDT 2015

There used to be a machine shop like that here.  I didn't do work as large
as
the one you found but it was just because there were no engines that big
around here.  They had the skills to do it.  They are long gone now.  The
last
thing I took to them was a head off a 454 Chevy boat engine.  An exhaust
valve
had been sticking open on it.  I took it off in the fall, had the head fixed
and
put it back on.  I didn't use the boat again until that fall and the problem
showed
up again.  I could fix the problem temporarily by removing the valve cover
and
taping the valve with a ball peen hammer.  At the end of that season I
didn't immediately
fix it but waited until on in the winter.  I took the head back to the same
shop
and since it had been over a year and a half I didn't even mention that they
had worked on
it before.  I just asked them to fix it.

I went back to get it a few days later.  The guy said "didn't I work on that
head last year?"
I told him yes.  He said "it was my fault.  No charge."  What happened that
he missed was
that water from the cooling jacket in the head was seeping past the outside
of the valve guide
and dripping onto the valve stem.  Apparently that valve was typically open
when the engine
stopped.  The trickle of water would rust on the stem and cause it to not
close fully.

The reason I didn't mention it, besides the time lapse, was that they had
always done good work
for me at a reasonable price and given the time lapse I had no way of
knowing if it was their fault or
not.  Their reaction to it justified the confidence I had in them to begin
with.    I wish they were
still here.

Charlie