[AT] OT--foam marker for sprayers

Greg Hass ghass at m3isp.com
Sat Jan 10 18:30:12 PST 2015

I have worked on my cousins foam marker many times but have not in 6 or
7 years so I'm a little hazy on a couple of things. First you mix water
and the liquid in the tank. The amount of foam liquid you put in
determines the density of the foam (it does not foam up in the tank); we
then added dye to the tank, usually pink, to make it easier to see in
the field. The mixing chamber was like a short pipe, maybe 2 inches. The
solution was pumped in through a single sprayer nozzle, such as a 10
gallon tip. The pump is the same pump that is used on most 10 gallon
lawn sprayers. An air compressor (ran off the tractor battery) then
added air and pumped it through a 3/4 inch hose to the end of the boom
and hooked to an elbow with a sort of upside down funnel except that
after it flared out, the sides were straight for three inches and then
had a half inch lip on the bottom, the lip would hold back the foam
until it got heavy enough and then the "blob" would drop. The air
compressor had a speed control on it and the speed determined the amount
of foam and thus the spacing of the "blobs". He had bought the unit used
and the second year he called and said the air compressor wouldn't work
and they thought it was the speed control switch, which I also
determined it was. 2 hours and $150 later we had a new  switch, which
was smoking and burned up after only 20 seconds. After 30 minutes of
studying wiring diagrams I found that when they put the sprayer on the
tractor, they hooked the wires up to the battery backwards. I guess
those switches for speed control are very polarity sensitive. Another
$150 and we were going again. The next year he called with the same
problem. As I walked around the sprayer to look at the battery, he got
mad and said he had marked them and that wasn't the problem. I put my
hands up and said, take a look. Even though he had put tape on the wires
and put a big + and - sign on them he had still hooked them backwards
and burned up the switch. He never did get a new switch, just drove by
guess for a year and then went GPS  which he still uses and with the
same sprayer. As for the divertor  valve, it always gave trouble, he
never got a new one because of the cost, so we used it the last two
years with foam coming out of both ends. I had it apart several times
and it is sort of a gate valve as it is handling foam and not liquid so
I am not sure that a garden irrigation valve would work.
I know I have rambled on a bit and hope I have helped and not
discouraged you. As you can tell, most of the problems were human error.
My relative can be hard to work with at times. One time he will spent
tons of money on something and if he gets mad wouldn't try and fix it at
all. Good luck.
        Greg Hass