[Ford-ferguson] 8N Engine Rebuild

Dr. Jim Rosen drjrosen at ipa.net
Sun Jan 25 09:54:26 PST 2015

A friend & I are doing an engine rebuild on a 1949 8N.  I read in the
FO-4 Shop Manual to jam wooden wedgesagainst the fingers of the clutch,
to hold the fingers inward. What is the purpose of doing this?

Also, when is it important to replace the expansion/freeze plugs in the
block?

One more question.  I also read to repack the pilot bearing in the
flywheel.  The grease has to have a very high melting point.  I
understand that high temp grease is needed so that it doesn't melt and
get on the clutch.  What kind of grease do people use?  What works best?

Thank you, Jim R