[AT] H. L. Staples

Dean VP deanvp at att.net
Mon Jan 19 22:27:33 PST 2015

I went through some of my archived emails and wasn't able to determine exactly which one was HL's last email but found many of his jokes that he published on the list. Here is one from 2009 I believe:

-----
The Old Rancher

The banker saw his old friend Tom, an old rancher, in town.

Tom had lost his wife a year or so before and rumor had it that he was
marrying a 'mail order' bride.

Being a good friend, the banker asked Tom if the rumor was true. Tom
assured him that it was. The banker then asked Tom the age of his new
bride to be. Tom proudly said,

'She'll be thirty-one in November.'

Now the banker, being the wise man that he was, could see that the
sexual appetite of a young woman could not be satisfied by an old man.

Wanting his old friend's remaining years to be happy the banker tactfully
suggested that Tom should consider getting a hired hand to help him out on
the ranch, knowing nature would take its own course.

Tom thought this was a good idea and said he would look for one that
afternoon.

About four months later, the banker ran into Tom in town again.

'How's the new wife?', asked the banker.

Tom proudly said, 'Good - she's pregnant.'

The banker, happy that his sage advice had worked out, continued, 'And how's
the hired hand?'

Without hesitating, Tom said, 'She's pregnant too.'

Don't ever underestimate old Guys.
-----

Dean VP
Apache Junction, AZ

The real art of conversation is not only to say the right thing at the right time, but also to leave unsaid  the wrong thing at the tempting moment.