[AT] Out with the new, in with the old

Steve W. swilliams268 at frontier.com
Sat Jan 17 06:57:43 PST 2015

rlgoss at twc.com wrote:
> I'm sitting here thinking about the interactions you and I have had
> over the years, Cecil -- the time you and Bear stopped by on your way
> to Portland, the time my son and I visited you in Oklahoma, etc.
> There's been a lot of water flow under that bridge.
>
> The company policy that blows my mind the most is the one where they
> purposely design an adjustment screw on a carburetor so that NO
> standard tool works on it, and then refuses to sell the special tool
> to anyone who is not licensed to do the repairs.  So I went home and
> built my own out of an item from Harbor Freight and a chunk of vinyl
> tubing.
>

> Larry

Same attitude in automobiles and electronics. I've bought a LOT of
specialty tools over the years to do 1 job and then collect dust/rust
till I finally scrap them. Dealers get hit with this all the time,
especially now that they have to carry "full line" They may never see a
vehicle but there will be a full set of the specific tools for them.
Those tools are usually VERY $$$$$$$$ VERY expensive.

In electronics the companies will house mark OR not mark components.
Makes it real fun to repair when nothing lists what the part is or a
replacement...

--
Steve W.