[AT] OT--foam marker for sprayers

jtchall at nc.rr.com jtchall at nc.rr.com
Sat Jan 10 05:07:34 PST 2015

COMPLETELY OT POST

I know some of you farm full time. How does a foam marker system for a sprayer make foam? From what I can tell looking around on the net the air and liquid foam solution are fed in 2 separate lines to the end of the boom where they mix in some sort of small chamber before being discharged. How does the mixing chamber work? Is the liquid solution fed under pressure from the tank?

I’ve read up on the homemade systems that generate the foam in the tank and have constructed a prototype of that. Unfortunately it appears I have to use rather large pipe to be able to push the foam down the pipe. With long enough hose, you actually build back pressure on the tank using something small like sprayer line. My prototype uses 1 1/2” PVC pipe. Works very well but takes a long time to generate enough foam to start dripping. I also have a concern of how I will switch from one boom to the other. Small solenoids aren’t cheap, I haven’t priced the size I would need. I’ve considered using 2 tanks and 2 compressors, would be a lot cheaper than solenoids. To keep from having to wait on the foam due to switching from one tank to the other I could let both run all the time. Another reason I dislike this system is the water in the tank tends to slosh up on the foam, meaning I would need a baffle of some sort in the tank.

Any help is appreciated.

John Hall