[AT] 1955 860 - What is it worth?

Stephen Offiler soffiler at gmail.com
Tue Jan 6 06:22:59 PST 2015

Hi Wolf:

I think I remember you.  I saw your note yesterday afternoon and I'm
surprised there has been no other responses.

The value of your 860 might be influenced a bit by the configuration.  I'm
working from memory here, but I think they came with either a 4-speed with
single stage clutch, or a 5-speed with dual stage clutch (clutching
transmission and PTO separately, giving effectively a form of live PTO).
The latter would be more desirable.  Also, I think there was a
Select-O-Speed option, and from what I hear they could be a nightmare to
keep working correctly once they got old and tired.  SOS would be less
desirable.

All the mechanical issues mentioned would be best if addressed.  Overheat
could be a T-stat but then again it could be a clogged radiator or broken
water pump (hmmm... I'm not 100% sure these had water pumps but I think
they do... not thermosiphon).  You've got a clear hydraulic issue there...
could be a number of different things, from the pump to a seal to a
pressure relief valve.  You might not want to dig in to that but it will
really drag the value down, being such an unknown.

A really solid 860 series machine with the 5-speed, and everything working
well, is a very useful 45-HP machine, and I could see it bringing somewhere
around $4000.  Plus or minus, depending on your location and the local
demand for such a machine.  As-is, too many unknowns.  Could be.... really
guessing now... $1500-2000 ish.  If you want a quick sale, keep the price
down and let it go.  I learned that selling a house by-owner.  Don't leave
it hanging on the market hoping for a few more bucks.  If your goal is to
sell, then sell for what you can get.

SO