[AT] Red tractor day

jtchall at nc.rr.com jtchall at nc.rr.com
Sun Jan 4 05:07:17 PST 2015

Certainly a bit of geography to be considered.  I'm a little west of Spencer
but still not in the coastal plain. We've still got ample hills and wood
lines to keep the wind in check. To put it in perspective, I have a friend
from Ohio, he used to farm there back in the 60's. He was at our farm shop
one day and commented He didn't have 10 feet of elevation change on his
entire farm. We must have 20 feet between the shop and dad's house. There's
got to be 8-10' just in the 1 1/2 acre field in front of my house. He didn't
mention windbreaks but if it was anything like I saw the one time I traveled
to Iowa, they would be a good idea. I'd just prefer something without the
thorns!

Regarding the orange trees, dad has told me several times of a spot just off
a 2 lane road nearby that had some sort of orange tree in it when he was a
kid.

The farm I got my Titan from had some sort of tree with HUGE thorns. They
were around 1-2" long and very stout. It was rather overgrown around the
tree so I didn't get too close for fear of stumbling into it. I've looked at
pics of all the trees you guys have mentioned here and none appear to be the
same. I swear that thing was so menacing a squirrel wouldn't want anything
to do with it.

Across the highway from me was a farm that has been turned into a
subdivision. It was tended back in the 50's by a fellow form Europe, England
I believe. Anyway he planted some kind of thorny bush/brier/rose in every
fence line. By the time the fence posts rotted, nothing bigger than a rabbit
could get through that stuff. In places it grew to 8 foot tall and very
wide. I worked for the subdivision as a grounds keeper for a few years. They
had built some nature trails that ran with the fence line in places. It was
fun trying to push this stuff back with a little Deere 670 and 5ft bushog.
At times I would back as far into it as I could without getting scratched to
pieces and still couldn't get to the base of the plant. Miraculously I never
did any damage to the tractor or the bushog, but I did wind up a bunch of
barbed wire around the blade once.

John Hall