[Farmall] H water pump pulley

jtchall at nc.rr.com jtchall at nc.rr.com
Fri Feb 27 16:42:15 PST 2015

Did a quick look in my Machinerys Handbook before I left work. Found out
there are at least 7 different types of Groove pins. To my understanding,
the groove is stamped/cut in after the pin is made. I didn't find anything
about the holes having to be reamed, but it was suggested to drill it the
same size as the pin, obviously a good straight hole that isn't bell mouthed
would work better.  Several materials can be used to make the pin, and yes
it appears case-hardening was the norm, certainly not thru hardening. Like
others, don't think I'd use the same one twice.

I asked my boss if he had ever heard of them and he said no. With 45 years
as a machinist I was surprised to say the least.

I'm wondering if one of these made out of some pretty tough material would
outperform a spiral pin in a Cadet driveshaft?

John Hall