[AT] Shop heat

Indiana Robinson robinson46176 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 24 13:36:58 PST 2015

Here is the basic wood / coal furnace that we have been heating the house
with for a number of years. It is still in very nice shape yet but it's
original blowers only lasted a couple of years. I replaced them with a
larger regular 3 speed furnace blower. A much higher quality unit. I use
the existing gas furnace just as an air handler through the existing duct
work. It all works well but the firebox is a bit small for much over about
10 hours if we are gone. It also has a #$%& baffle that is too low and
sometimes the wood hits it when loading. It all just needs more height for
convenient 24-7 use.
http://www.orschelnfarmhome.com/OrschelnFarmHome/ctl16754/cp/si5188961/cl1/hot-blast-wood-furnace?&query=wood+furnace&hits=12&offset=
The current plan is to move it to the farm shop next fall and replace it in
the house with one like this:
http://www.ruralking.com/us-stove-1602r-series-hotblast-wood-and-coal-furnace.html
The BTU rating is much higher and the amount of loading space in the
firebox is "substantially" larger. The baffle sits right up at the top and
is out of the way when loading.
The existing wood / coal furnace should be fine for the farm shop if I get
its openness tightened up a fair amount.
In the mean time I am setting a barrel stove in there to finish out this
winter. I have used barrel stoves before and as long as you protect
anything flammable nearby with a sheet metal shield with an air-space they
are really effective at heating a drafty space with their more radiant
heat. Of course I am now trying to heat around 1,000 acres...  :-)

Francis Robinson
aka "farmer"
Central Indiana USA
robinson46176 at gmail.com