[AT] Spam> Re: now Heart concerns

Stephen Offiler soffiler at gmail.com
Mon Feb 23 07:46:54 PST 2015

I can at least partially agree with you, David.  I have actually heard
sincere proposals (that thankfully didn't go anywhere.... yet....) to add
statins the public water supply!

But I tend to disagree that statins have their place.  I've done a ton of
research on this.  If you split people into four camps - men vs women, and
those with vs without pre-existing cardiac disease, you find that three of
the camps have ZERO benefit from statins in "all-cause mortality".  That
means death from any and all reasons, not just cardiovascular.  Statin
promoters will talk all day long about avoiding death from cardiac
conditions, but the real data says people on statins are dying equally as
fast, just from something else.

Then we have the fourth camp, which is men with pre-existing cardiac
disease.  Here, the statistics for all-cause mortality are 2 deaths in 100
over 5 years for the statin group and 3 deaths in 100 over 5 years for the
control group not taking statins.  Statin promoters call this a 50%
reduction in mortality.  Bald-faced marketing lie.  The difference between
2% and 3% is ONE PERCENT, not 50%.  (You have to take a percentage change
of a percentage change to come up with 50% which is mathematically
nonsense).  And all the pro-statin marketing bullcrap is based on this camp
alone.  The other three camps:  men without pre-existing cardiac disease,
and all women regardless of cardiac status, have ZERO benefit.

One could, I suppose, use the above to conclude that statins do have their
place.  But all 100 of the group on statins are suffering 5 years worth of
side-effects to save one life.  That is a terribly thin arguement in favor
of statins. The right answer for everyone is to get off the statins and
instead drop the sugar and processed carbs (bread, pasta, baked goods,
anything wheat-based or corn-based) that are now the proven cause of
cardiac disease.

SO