[AT] Hey, I did something old tractor today

Cecil R Bearden crbearden at copper.net
Sun Feb 22 20:24:41 PST 2015

I cut the bottom out of my old spin on oil filters and use the can to
cover exhaust pipes.  The can is heavier than soup cans and the dome top
prevents water from standing in the top and rusting out.  I have a lot
of engines that have set for a few years...The filter is usually longer
than a normal can.   Those spin on hyd oil filters work great for the
big diesel exhausts...

Cecil in oKla

On 2/22/2015 6:11 PM, Wrench50 at aol.com wrote:
> One time when I finished using my IH 656. I lifted the muffler off, which
> left a short stub pipe that was not long enough to stick thru the sheet
> metal  than put a cut off plastic soda bottle over the pipe. It was a little hot
> yet  but I was in a hurry. The next time I used the tractor that soda
> bottle had  shrunk around that pipe like a piece of shrink tube and was hard as a
> rock. I  had a heck of a time getting that bottle off that pipe trying to
> work under the  sheet metal.  Del MI
>

> In a message dated 2/22/2015 3:44:07 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
> robinson46176 at gmail.com writes:
>
> I just  told Diana to save me about 4 to 6 empty salmon cans... They are
> about the  right size to use to cap an exhaust pipe when a top exhaust
> tractor needs  to sit out. Not all of mine have a flapper cap. A screen door
> spring works  well to attach to the open rim and hook down "somewhere" on
> the tractor. I  have used a bungie or a tarp strap but you don't want to be
> slapping a  piece of rubber up against a hot muffler and walk away.
> I could just wait  for the muffler to cool down but by then I would forget
> to cover the  stack.
> :-)
> OK, it wasn't much but it was old tractor.
> :-)
>
> --

---