[AT] shipping wars

charlie hill charliehill at embarqmail.com
Sat Feb 14 17:01:49 PST 2015

Thanks Steve.  Good to know.

Charlie

-----Original Message-----
From: Steve W.
Sent: Saturday, February 14, 2015 11:59 AM
To: Antique tractor email discussion group
Subject: Re: [AT] shipping wars

charlie hill wrote:
> Yes Ivan and others,  I stand corrected, it is FedEx Smart Post.
> I ordered something a while back that I needed in a relative hurry
> but not overnight.  FedEx Smart Post fit the delivery time and the
> cost just fine so I selected it only to find out that the promised
> delivery time was the time they promised to give it to the post office
> and that the tracking stopped when it was handed off to USPS.
> It still came the next day (after I expected it) but it was something I
> had
> to have by a certain time and I surely was anxious until it showed up
> with my mail.  Luckily I have a good mail carrier.
>
> Charlie

Both FedEx and UPS have agreements with the USPS. For residential
shipments they can drop your package at the post office that serves your
  area and they consider their part done. The USPS carries it "the last
mile"

UPS is also the actual carrier for international packages for USPS.
USPS used to send the packages on ships. Then they contracted with UPS
and average package delivery time dropped dramatically. My BIL lives
outside Tokyo and we ship things both ways a lot. Prior to the UPS deal
it would take an average of 3 weeks to ship items, and there were
multiple losses. You could pay a premium price (usually 3-4 times
"standard" rate) but there were a lot of issues with that as well.
Now the average package delivery time is a week and the price only went
up a few dollars.

One thing I have discovered though. I use a "business" name on some
items and those are always delivered by the UPS truck. Stuff that is
sent to my residential address sometimes comes through the P.O.

--
Steve W.