[AT] Welding Advice

jtchall at nc.rr.com jtchall at nc.rr.com
Mon Feb 9 14:55:49 PST 2015

If you aren't looking to weld farm or construction equipment together, one
of the larger portable MIG machines would be my preference. I bowered one
from a friend to weld the sieves back together in a combine, pretty nice
machine. It wouldn't be able to handle big heavy stuff, but that doesn't
sound like what you want to do.

Don't even think about a TIG machine. Anyone that can run one of them
already knows how to weld. They produce the nicest looking work and you can
pull off some amazing parlor stunts if you have the right skills. But they
are just not a machine for a beginner. Fortunately most repairs/builds can
be done without one.  If you run across someone with a TIG machine, make
friends! That’s one of those things when you need it, you really need it.

John Hall