[AT] Welding Advice

Ralph Goff alfg at sasktel.net
Mon Feb 9 11:20:05 PST 2015

On 2/9/2015 12:27 PM, Mike wrote:
> I hope some of our folks with experience jump in on this, I too am
> learning to weld. I have an old AC tombstone welder, and a newer 110v
> Hobart MIG welder my wife got me for Christmas for lighter duty welding.
> All I can say is what I do is not called welding, sometimes I can make
> two pieces of metal stick together, sometimes they stay stuck other
> times not.
>
> Mike M
Mike, that 110 volt welder is the type I am interested in if it can weld
light metal such as old rusty car bodies.
I have welded with a 180 amp "stick" welder for 40 years and know the
limitations is has when it comes to sheet metal.
Anything light as a car body will burn through even at low amperage
settings plus be very hard to hold an arc.
My brother has a MIG which is supposed to be better for light metal but
I am not crazy about having to keep
a tank of oxygen or whatever type of gas it takes to work. So I am
wondering if a light duty 110 volt welder might
be my best bet.
Sorry to side track the original question here. When I first saw the
heading I thought it said "wedding advice"
and I almost didn't bother to open it. :-)

Ralph in Sask.