[AT] Led SHOP LIGHTS

Stephen Offiler soffiler at gmail.com
Fri Feb 6 09:03:54 PST 2015

Looking at my Philips Lighting catalog.  The 8' lamps run a fairly wide
range of different lumen outputs, depending on various factors like color
temperature, color rendering index, rated life, etc.  But to boil it down
to a reasonable number I'd call it about 4000 lumens.  But, of course,
these are brand-new modern lamps with relatively high efficiencies.  Yours
could have been say perhaps 3500 lm when new and they drop output as they
age; you could be down down in the 2000-2500lm ballpark on your 30-year old
8-footers.

On the other hand, LED manufacturers can sometimes be mighty optimistic
with their ratings.  If it's a reputable manufacturer of a premium product,
I'd buy the 3700; but if they are more budget-minded designs, it's more of
a marketing and sales game so the numbers get massaged.  In this case I'd
throw a wild estimate of about 3000lm.  Costco... well, I'm making some
assumptions here, but I'd go with 3000.

Bottom line is that one of these LED modules will as a best-guess throw
more lumens (~3000) than one of your existing 8' fluorescents (~2000-2500).

SO