[AT] A favorite tractor attachment

Indiana Robinson robinson46176 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 2 18:16:42 PST 2015

Sometimes in spite of my best efforts something goes right...
Maybe over 20 years ago I made a 3 point lift fork attachment (picture link
below) for moving pallets around so I could move stuff around on pallets
instead of constantly loading and unloading stuff. I also used to move big
round bales with it by using a big hook with a chain over the top to hold
the bales forward.
I was looking for some extra strong materials to use instead of the angle
iron like the farm store forks use. Maybe a decade earlier I had bought a
well worn John Deere pull type plow just to get the like new set of
complete coulter assemblies someone had put on it. I bought the whole plow
for less than 1/3rd the cost of new coulters. I had torn the plow apart and
saved most of the steel and scrapped the tired old bases. I used two of the
plow beams for the forks and they are remarkably tough. I have had some
horrendous loads on that thing. Only a couple of pieces did not come from
that John Deere plow. The spacer at the top-link was cut from an old piston
pin from a truck engine. The pipe that sits across near the bottom is some
common double strength pipe I had and it is there so I can drop the bucket
from my loader and mount the forks to the loader with the bucket pins. The
small steel pieces that add support to the pipe were just steel from
"something". Everything else was from the plow frame. The third picture
shows where I used the thick plow shank gussets to brace the forks to the
frame.
I have some "accessories" for it and want to make some more. I made it so
that the bolt holes in both forks line up. I have a pallet (Need to make
some more) that I can put on it and stick a pin in on each side and lock it
on. I have a 10' horse lot drag that has a frame on top of it so I can back
into it and lift the whole thing with the forks. I tow it with a couple of
chains but can back the forks in and lift it to carry it from lot to lot
and just drop it and start dragging. I have a heavy piece of "I" beam that
I want to weld a couple of short pieces of 2" x 4"  steel tube onto so I
can back the forks into them and pin it in place so I can do some light
grading on the drives. Sort of like a Farmall Fast Hitch but backward.
That steel tube is the right size to fit a common dimension 2 x 4 and I
want to cut some short pieces of it to use as sockets on a few other
implements I have. I also want to make a "sloppy stuff" scraper for it
using half of an 18.4x34 tire I used to keep as a spare for my Deere 4020.
It spends a lot of time on my TO-20 Ferguson because it is so maneuverable
but after I get one of my 8N Fords going this summer I will likely move it
to it so that I have the "Position Control to make it a bit easier to
maintain lift height.
I hope this is making sense, we are adjusting some meds.
:-)
https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/110429518110019188498/albums/5409917730989419633/6110699768222850738?pid=6110699768222850738&oid=110429518110019188498

Francis Robinson
aka "farmer"