[AT] Glow plugs

Cecil R Bearden crbearden at copper.net
Sun Dec 20 15:55:47 PST 2015

My 7030 Allis had that ether can, but the plastic line to the air intake
had broken and I plugged it to prevent dust in the intake.  I have found
that those 70's tractors and trucks will start just fine in the winter
with 2008 and later batteries.   Batteries are so much better in
cranking amps that I only have to use ether on my old 944 CAT loader or
when the batteries are not cranking as fast as they should.    My
Belarus tractors have never failed to start if I use 5W-30 oil in the
winter.  My TS110 New Holland has 15W-40 oil and it never refuses to s
tart in the winter without ether and I always forget to use the glow plugs.
I remember our old Massey 50 Diesel and the 65 Diesel, in the winter you
would run the battery down the glow plug before it would start.  You
also did not ether a Perkins of that vintage. Sooner or later you would
need a head welded.  We parked them in an old cow barn that was built on
a slant.  In the winter we backed them in so they could be pulled out
and started.  We could start the 50 by pulling it with the pickup if we
had about 300 lbs of cattle cub es in the back..  I had an old WD allis
that would start when nothing else would.  When we had snow I would
start the WD and pull the diesel to start it.....

Cecil in OKla