[AT] Adding electric start

Ralph Goff alfg at sasktel.net
Fri Dec 18 22:52:41 PST 2015

On 12/17/2015 10:31 PM, Charlie V wrote:
> Just a thought to pass on to you on this subject, FWIW.  Last year it came
> up with my little sister (over 65 years old, lives alone, and also quite
> independent. Five feet tall and not much over 100 lbs, but athletic).  She
> sharee with me that she had always had difficulty with pulling ropes on all
> small engines.  I was pretty sure I knew the problem right away as I have
> seen it before.  Many folks yank the rope hard and fast.  Not very
> effective.  Via e-mail I politely schooled her (being very careful not to
> insinuate she was wrong or anything like that) about pulling gently until
> you feel the recoil ratchet engage.   If the rope is then out like a foot,
> let it back in and re-engage to ratchet so pull handle is closer up to
> engine.  Now give it a long, firm, steady pull to rotate and hopefully
> start the engine.  Getting full benefit of the length of rope for as much
> engine turn as possible is key to good starting.  A firm stroke is needed
> but not super fast with most modern small engines.  Just do not yank the
> rope past the end of it's outboard travel if you are a big strong person.
>
> Back to my sister:  She still has to think pull starting thru each time she
> does it. but is over being intimidated by the job and is getting all her
> stuff going fine now.  I think her largest is 3 1/2 of 4 HP but she is
> getting the job done and is thankful for the instruction.
>
> Not saying this is the problem at your house, but just in case, 15 minutes
> of pull starting class would be much cheaper  than an electric start
> conversion.
The old Wisconsin engines with the impulse magneto would start on a very
slow pull .
The Briggs engines I always found needed a good long windup and as fast
as you could
pull them. I don't think they had the impulse mag as you don't hear the
click.
The solenoid has quit again on my electric start single cylinder Kohler
grain auger
engine. I can start it by pulling on the drive belt fairly easy. Or else
use a screw driver
to short out the solenoid terminals. Seems this engine is hard on
solenoids. On the other
hand, the Kohler 11 hp in my old JD lawn tractor has a trouble free
electric start system
that only requires occasional battery replacement.

Ralph in Sask.