[AT] Adding electric start

Charlie V 1cdevill at gmail.com
Thu Dec 17 20:31:06 PST 2015

Just a thought to pass on to you on this subject, FWIW.  Last year it came
up with my little sister (over 65 years old, lives alone, and also quite
independent. Five feet tall and not much over 100 lbs, but athletic).  She
sharee with me that she had always had difficulty with pulling ropes on all
small engines.  I was pretty sure I knew the problem right away as I have
seen it before.  Many folks yank the rope hard and fast.  Not very
effective.  Via e-mail I politely schooled her (being very careful not to
insinuate she was wrong or anything like that) about pulling gently until
you feel the recoil ratchet engage.   If the rope is then out like a foot,
let it back in and re-engage to ratchet so pull handle is closer up to
engine.  Now give it a long, firm, steady pull to rotate and hopefully
start the engine.  Getting full benefit of the length of rope for as much
engine turn as possible is key to good starting.  A firm stroke is needed
but not super fast with most modern small engines.  Just do not yank the
rope past the end of it's outboard travel if you are a big strong person.

Back to my sister:  She still has to think pull starting thru each time she
does it. but is over being intimidated by the job and is getting all her
stuff going fine now.  I think her largest is 3 1/2 of 4 HP but she is
getting the job done and is thankful for the instruction.

Not saying this is the problem at your house, but just in case, 15 minutes
of pull starting class would be much cheaper  than an electric start
conversion.

Charlie V.