[AT] Glow plugs

Cecil R Bearden crbearden at copper.net
Tue Dec 22 22:02:16 PST 2015

Detroits are another animal when it comes to gassing the intake.  I was
on a site one time clearing an old house site where there was an old
Hough loader with a 3-53. The operator was going to pick up an old 250
gallon propane tank and move it.  Like the idiot he was, he tried to
scoop up the tank in the bucket.  The tank turned over and broke off the
liquid valve.  It started spewing and the detroit started revving up in
about 30 seconds.  He baled off the loader.  I ran over and plugged the
air intake with my coat.  It was a heavy Carrhart and it shut it down in
a few seconds.   The boss asked me if I could drive the loader, I said I
had been operating equipment since I was 6 years old.  I was about 23
then.  Boss fired the idiot operator on site & I got a raise!.   Worked
all Christmas vacation and weekends for the guy driving anything he had.
   I got $12/hr whenever I had time to work for him.....   If I had
stayed I would have had my own construction company.  Oh Well!

Cecil in OKla