[AT] Glow plugs

Cecil R Bearden crbearden at copper.net
Mon Dec 21 05:34:59 PST 2015

I have an old trick that was showed to my by a OK Nat Gas company
backhoe operator back in 1975.   I had rented a JD crawler that was worn
out, and a tree had toppled over and broke the fuel filter bracket.  I
had it welded and mounted it back with a new filter and could not get
the system complete bled.  He took an old sweatshirt rag and soaked it
with gas, held it over the air cleaner and I hit the starter.    The
engine would run on the gasoline with a little knock, until it picked up
fuel and started running.
I have used that trick many times since, even in cold weather on Perkins
engines without damage to the engine.
  I ran out of fuel in one side tank on a semi on the side of the road
about 1/4 mile from the T/A truckstop.   I switched to the other tank
but the engine would not pick up fuel.   Hiked over to the truckstop and
bought a gas can then back to the gas station for a gallon of gas also
bought a pack of red rags.  When I got back to the truck I did not want
to ruin my pack of rags, so I just poured gas on the air filter.  It
started and ran fine.  I went on in to OKC...
I had an 1155 Massey that had a V-8 diesel with the inj pump in the V of
the engine.   It was a bear to pump.  I would use the gas on a rag trick
to get fuel back into the pump.
My 7.3 powerstroke will lose pump pressure after sitting for 6 months.
I disconnect the glow plug and use the gas on the rag to get it to start
without running down the batteries.
I have started my 930 Case a few winters with the gas on a rag as the
glow plug does not work.
My Belarus tractors have a glow system that drips fuel into the manifold
and lights it off to create a small fire to warm up the air in the
manifold.  I have never used it as they start fine as long as the
batteries crank fast enough.
Cecil in OKla