[AT] Glow plugs

charlie hill charliehill at embarqmail.com
Sat Dec 19 17:34:24 PST 2015

years ago..... 40 years ago or so.... I had a road tractor with a Detroit
8V71 two stroke
diesel.  It would usually start ok in cold weather but it's not good for
them to do so.
It's hard on batteries and the engine and starting fluid will eventually
kill them.
What I did each night when I came in was to hook up a trickle charger to the
batteries,
plug in a 110V block heater that had it's coil mounted in the water jacket
of the engine block,
and turn the cab heater fan on low.  The next morning the Detroit would fire
as soon
as I hit the starter and even in 15 deg. weather the cab would be about 50
degrees inside
from the thermo syphon effect and the slowly running heater fan.  Made the
days work start
much easier at 4 AM.

Charlie