[AT] Fwd: Re: Adding electric start

Greg Hass ghass at m3isp.com
Wed Dec 16 22:38:01 PST 2015

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: 	Re: [AT] Adding electric start
Date: 	Thu, 17 Dec 2015 01:33:56 -0500
From: 	Greg Hass <ghass at m3isp.com>
To: 	at at lists.antique-tractor.com

I can't for sure speak to your model but have been involved in a couple,
both of them B&S. My brother had a 10 hp. generator that was hard to
start. I just happened to have a starter that would fit. We took off the
cooling shroud and guess what; no ring gear. The ring gear is not
separate, but part of the flywheel. We gave up and used as is. A guy who
sits with me at the coffee shop (84 Years old)  had the same problem but
at his age and with a bad shoulder could not start the generator. He
found a flywheel with teeth on E-bay cheap and put the starter on and it
works great. Your engine is newer I'm sure so things may have changed,
but this may give you a starting point. I was recently pricing lawn vacs
(the kind you pull behind the mower) and the price difference between
regular and electric start is $200.
        Greg Hass