[AT] JD G in Snow

ATIS yostsw at atis.net
Wed Dec 16 18:49:31 PST 2015

Those are stars.  Dean's picture was taken by photographer that was using a very sturdy tripod in time lapse photography. The small light to the left would have been, in person, barely visible. But the time lapse photography made it seem much brighter . The source of light to the right which is barely illuminating the tractor, it's probably a faraway security light or floodlight or possibly a light the photographer set up that was very dim - like a flashlight pointed against a surface that reflected its light back to the tractor.  The crown of an evergreen does nicely for reflecting a soft glow.  The existence of a very clear and well-defined Milky Way tells me the time lapse was probably on the order of a minutes, not seconds.

Time lapse photography at night is something I  pursued once I got a good digital camera, but I was never able to master it. It's much more difficult than it would seem.  For example, colors tend to wash out and autofocus, John has found out, will fail you.  The fact he got the Deere green to look like Deere green is amazing.  Having said that I think there is some modern dark room techniques - aka photoshop - involved as well.

Of course I could be all wrong but that is my guess.

Spencer Yost