[AT] Ten Years Ago

Ralph Goff alfg at sasktel.net
Sat Dec 12 10:45:28 PST 2015

On 12/12/2015 10:20 AM, jtchall at nc.rr.com wrote:
> Most of our snows are fairly wet. 8" can get to be a problem when moving the
> second pass with a 45 hp tractor and a 7 ft blade. That big snow drifted
> real deep on the road in front of my house, I had one spot I couldn't get to
> clear down to asphalt. My cousin swung his Jeep in it but managed to keep
> working and got it free. I swung my 2wd pickup in it after I had cleared the
> road--literally it was off the ground and had to pull it to my house.
My dad could tell stories of worse winters. The days when the roads were
prairie trails. When they
blew in too deep to clear they would branch off into the fields taking
the most accesible path, keeping
to the high ground where the snow was not quite as deep. I can remember
riding the school bus
on some of these cross country trails through the fields. When the bus
got stuck the driver got
out and shovelled and the kids got out to help push. If that didn't work
the driver walked to the
nearest farm yard for help. A different world for sure. Back then the
driver had a lot of responsibility
and no contact by cell phone or radio.

Ralph in Sask.