[AT] Chore day with the Super M

Indiana Robinson robinson46176 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 19 03:10:15 PDT 2015

I have a "reasonable" supply of rocks here on this farm but within 10 miles
south and east of me the glacier dropped pockets of rocks ranging from
gravel to small car. Many of them have been sold and removed for
landscaping.
We moved here in 1951 and for many years we carried thousands of rocks from
tennis ball size to bigger than your head from the fields to the fence
lines. Larger rocks were moved either with a loader or on a stone boat. Then
about 1960 we took out all of the cross fences and had to deal with all of
those damned rocks all over again.  :-)
We kept heavy steel boxes mounted on the main tillage tractors that served
as extra tool boxes for stuff like chains etc. but mostly for hauling rocks
out of the fields.
I have family in the Pensacola FL area and they know what glacial rocks are
only because they have seen pictures of them.  :-)
One of my nephews has hauled a few rocks back home with him each visit for
a long time. A couple of years ago he came here and went to a local
limestone quarry and worked out with the quarry folks just how big of a
block of limestone he could safely haul in his 3/4 ton pickup. He bought
one but first got lumber and made a sort of sled for it to sit in both to
protect his truck and so that he could use it for unloading at home. They
sat it carefully in his truck with a  forklift and it now sits in his front
yard.

Francis Robinson
aka "farmer"
Central Indiana USA